Thumbnail is the excellent feature that shows the preview of your photo, video or file and helps you to select multiple files without opening it. However, sometimes the Windows Explorer or File Manager might not show the thumbnail preview due to some misconfiguration. Thumbnails not showing up is the most commonly experiencing issues among all Windows users and including Windows 10.
We already covered this topic for Windows 7/8/8.1 systems. If you are experiencing the thumbnails not showing in windows 10 too, any one of the following five methods could fix the problem.
Solution to fix thumbnails not showing in Windows 10 problem:
You can fix the abruptly stopped Thumbnail preview issue in Windows 10 by using the following five methods.
Method 1: Enable thumbnail preview in Windows 10 using Folder Options:
- Open This PC or File Manager, click on File and click on Change Folder and search options or Options.
- In the Folder Options box, Go to the view tab and uncheck “Always show icons, never thumbnails” which, is under Files and Folders section. Once you are done, do not forget to hit the Apply button.
This tweak probably brings back the thumbnail previews for picture and videos on your Windows 10 computer. If you are still experiencing the same issue, follow the method
Method 2: Fix Windows 10 not showing thumbnails Using Advanced System settings:
- Open again This PC or File Explorer, right click on empty spaces and select Properties. The System information window will get opened and there, select Advanced system settings from the left side pane.
- You will get the System Properties box like below and Go to Advanced > Performance > Settings.
- Check on Show thumbnails instead of icons option and hit Apply button.
Method 3: Editing Group Policy to fix:
If all the above solutions are failed to fix the thumbnails not showing in windows 10, still you have another chance to bring it back on your Windows machine.
Group policy editor only available for Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise edition. If you are using Windows 10 home Edition, follow the Method 4.
This tweak will override all the Thumbnail related settings for all system users.
You should have Administrative privileges to use this tool.
- Open Run command (Windows Key + R), enter gpedit.msc and hit enter or search Group Policy in search screen to open it.
- In the left side pane of Group Policy, Go to User Configuration > Administrative templates > Windows components > File Explorer.
- Find the option “Turn off the Display of thumbnails and only display icons” and double-click on it.
- Select either Not configured or Disabled option and hit the Apply button.
This Group Policy setting definitely brings the Thumbnail preview on your Windows 10 back. Unfortunately, if your system still stubborn to show the thumbnails, follow the below two steps.
Method 4: Using Registry Editor to fix Windows 10 thumbnails not working:
Note: You must be signed in to your Administrator accounts to use this method.
Open the Registry Editor on your computer. You can launch the Registry Editor by searching on start menu or type Regedit in Run command and hit enter.
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.
Double click on DisableThumbnails DWOED and enter ‘0’ in value data field. Try to Restart your machine to take changes in effect.
Method 5: Changing view type:
If you are still not able to fix thumbnail previews not showing on Windows 10, you can also try by changing the view mode in the file explorer. To do so,
- Open This PC or File Explorer app and click on the view tab.
Under the layout category, select either Large icons or Medium-sized icons option in the list. This setting also fixes the thumbnails not showing in windows 10 problem.